This week’s graded topics relate to the following Course Outcome (CO).
- CO 6: Utilize a systems-based and collaborative approach to address factors that influence the health of a community and population health problems. (PO 2)
Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s MyEnvironment site at http://www.epa.gov/myenvironment (Links to an external site.), and enter your city and state, ZIP code, or location into the location box.
Choose one of the topic areas.
- My Health
- My Climate
- My Air
- My Water
Then, click on the boxes under the Map Contents menu to add data into the map on specific topics. Explore the site to learn more about your environment and things that might be impacting the health of its citizens.
- Identify something new you learned about your environment and how it could be affecting health by completing this statement, “I didn’t know _____.”
- How could you, in the role of a community health nurse, address these concerns?
Optional: For more environmental health information, you can also visit the following resources.
- Environmental health tracking: https://ephtracking.cdc.gov/InfoByLocation/ (Links to an external site.)
- Air quality: http://www.airnow.gov (Links to an external site.)
- Toxic release inventory: https://www.epa.gov/toxics-release-inventory-tri-program
Professor’s comment: Hello Class,
This week, we are exploring environmental health and its role in the community.
Please go to http://hazmap.nlm.nih.gov/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Type the name of an identified toxin into the search box. Explore your results. What are some of the potential health impacts from this toxin? How could a CHN assist in addressing the issue(s)?
*This could also be used as a midweek question for the entire class or as an additional resource in your discussion summary.
- Identify a global environmental concern that public health nurses can impact.
- How can social media or other media be used to improve the environmental health of your community?
- Can you find any agencies in your community that deal with these types of issues (air or water quality board, etc.)?
American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2019). Community/public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (7 ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.