Berlinger, N., Guidry-Grimes, L., & Hulkower, A. (2017). Knowledge is key for safety-net providers. Health Progress: Journal of the Catholic Health Association of the United States. Retrieved from https://www.chausa.org/publications/health-progress/article/july-august-2017/knowledge-is-key-for-safety-net-providers
Hacker, K., Anies, M., Folb, B., & Zallman, L. (2015). Barriers to health care for undocumented immigrants: A literature review. Risk Management and Healthcare Policy, 8. Available in the Trident Online Library. PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT REGARDING THIS REFERENCE
The Hastings Center. (2017). Undocumented immigrants and health care access in the United States. Retrieved from http://undocumentedpatients.org/
HHS Office of Minority Health. (2016). National CLAS Standards, health literacy, and communication [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkpRx1lHCu8&feature=youtu.be
National CLAS Standards: National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Health and Health Care. Retrieved from https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/clas
Shi, L. (2014). Health policy for diverse populations. In Introduction to health policy, pp. 118-149. Chicago: Health Administration Press. Available in the Trident Online Library. PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT REGARDING THIS REFERENCE
The debate over immigration reform continues to be a hot button in American policy and unlikely to be solved in the foreseeable future. Regardless of the current policy and where one stands on dealing with illegal immigration, the reality is that there will be undocumented immigrants that come into the country and as with all human beings, they will get sick or injured and need medical care. There are a host of legal, ethical, financial, and public health considerations for policies focused on care for this vulnerable population, and arguably no easy answers.
Review the background reading for this module and conduct your own research. After you have done so, write a position paper on whether the provision of health care for undocumented immigrants should be provided without consideration of immigration status, addressing each of the issues italicized above. Keep in mind that this paper is not meant to be a debate of immigration policy, but a statement regarding healthcare services.
Be sure cite reliable sources and utilize the reference below for setting up your paper. You must use the outline in the reference below.
Reference: Xavier University Library. (2014). How to write a position paper. Retrieved from http://www.xavier.edu/library/students/documents/position_paper.pdf
SLP Assignment Expectations
- Limit your response to no more than 2 pages, single-spaced.
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to justify/support your analysis.
- Support your paper with a minimum of 3 reliable sources; at least 2 of these should be peer-reviewed articles. Use the following link for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php
- Please use the following resource for evaluating information found on the internet: https://www.library.georgetown.edu/tutorials/research-guides/evaluating-internet-content
- You may use the following source to assist in your formatting your assignment: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.